MMM Legal Services Corner
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) finally becomes operational on 1 July 2021 [EXTENDED TO 1 FEBRUARY 2022]. This means that businesses have
left to put measures in place that adequately safeguard the personal information that they have of clients, customers and business partners. After 1 July 2021 [EXTENDED TO 1 FEBRUARY 2022] non-compliance could result in fines of up to R10 million and even prison.
As Legal Services, our function is to provide an effective and efficient Legal support to Council in order to enable it to deliver on its Constitutional mandate and manage and limit the legal risks of the city. We play a major role in ensuring that the decisions taken by Council and its structures, as well as administration, are legally compliant and that legal support is available to various departments as and when they require it. This inevitably decreases the legal risk to which the City is exposed in its decision-making bodies which ultimately promotes service delivery.
Units and Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
The Legal Services Sub-Directorate’s main purpose is to provide a professional legal advice and assistance service to the municipality to ensure the proper protection of the municipality’s interests and compliance with its obligations.
Principles, Aims and Objectives:
- The provision of legal advice and assistance to the Council and the administration of the municipality to ensure the proper protection of the municipality’s interests, and compliance by the municipality with its legal obligations and responsibilities.
- Compilation and promulgation of new and amendments to existing by-laws of the municipality to ensure that the municipality’s by-laws cover all activities and areas that need regulation, are constantly reviewed and updated and properly.
- The establishment, implementation, updating and circulation of a Municipal Code containing all promulgated by-laws of the municipality to ensure the proper recording and availability of Council’s by-laws.
- Handling of the litigation process for criminal or civil cases in which the municipality, councillors or officials may become involved in their official capacity to ensure that the municipality’s interests are properly protected.
- Maintenance of a legal library to ensure that up to date and the latest legal information is available at any time.
Fax: +27 51 405 8119
Adv. Charlie Naidoo
GM: Legal Services
Tel: +27 51 405 8692
Fax: +27 51 405 8119
Room 314, Bram Fischer Building
Cnr Nelson Mandela Drive and Markgraaf Street
PO Box 3704